Oct 2, 2011

Saying Goodbye to Grandma

These last few days we've been together with family as we prepared for the funeral and gathering for Grandma Eva.  The circumstances of our 'togetherness' were sad, but we were glad to be there for each other. 
The funeral was short and sweet and beautiful, just like Grandma.  Auntie Kanga spoke, I read a poem that Karin wrote and mom's cousin Terry spoke.  Karin put together a slide show and that was wonderful.  Grandma had chosen some songs to be played.

Here is what Karin wrote and I read:
  
 Butterfly Wings

I remember clearly what you always said to me,
Those days I’d be there to divide the paper.
You asked for the obit’s from some where in there.
And I’d frown as I would hand it to you.
“When it’s my time dear, it’s OK, I’ve had a good life.”
You’d smile softly at me, right into my heart.
Butterflies in my belly, and tears it would bring me.
“Oh now, don’t you cry sweetie, it’s gonna be fine. I know Grandpa’s there.”
And more tears it would bring.
Understanding my thoughts and always knowing my feelings.

You wanted that section to see if your name was in it.
Well Grandma, today it was.
So beautifully written, it fits you perfectly.
And with as much sorrow as it brings me,
I know you are now my angel, carefully watching over me,
And anyone else you choose to see.

Those Butterflies, now in my heart,
I’ll keep them there so forever they’ll stay,
As I give to YOU your butterfly wings.

Grandma, you’re now back home, where you need to be.
Grandpa’s there, just like you said,
And sooner or later, we all will be.
So now I know, you’ll be right there,
Smiling proudly at us with your butterfly wings.

I hadn’t realized just how long we’ve kept you from Grandpa,
Today I know you’re together again, for eternity.
But really Grandma, he never left your side,
He was always right there watching over you,
As you will now do for us, with your Butterfly wings.

I feel we’ve been selfish keeping you here,
But I know you’re better now,
I know you had a good life,
You told me so.
Those Butterfly wings will help you around,
They’ll be so pretty and get you ‘round town.
You can see all the sights, and around to all the family.

There will always be time now for you to sit down and share a toast with Poppy. You’re together again.
And, while we wait to join you again,
We, back here, we’ll do the same.
A glass of Crown and your good name.

Grandma, please go enjoy those Butterfly wings.
From here on out, you’re forever in my heart;
With those Butterflies.

Afterward, everyone gathered at a restaurant that was close by.  We all enjoyed catching up and especially, reminiscing about Grandma. It was a great day in celebration of a wonderful lady who lived a long and happy life. 


Grandma's six grandchildren.

Enjoying every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment