Nov 20, 2011

Embracing the Everyday

This weekend really was just about the everyday details. 
We did nothing special, yet everything about the weekend was special.

Saturday morning, Cannon reminded me about how it really is the little everyday things that are important. He realized that he didn't have to get dressed to go to school because it was Saturday.  He went running down the hallway shouting, "We have a day off!  Today is a day off!"  And he stayed in his jammies until well past noon!  It's amazing what makes him happy! 

This weekend, I found myself overwhelmed with gratitude with a trip to the store by myself.  Not only did I get to the grocery store by myself, but to the mall to make a few returns, too.  It was so nice to walk through the stores with only my thoughts in my head. 

This weekend, the everyday tasks of laundry and cleaning the kitchen were accomplished without the overwhelming feeling that they sometimes bring.  Why, I wonder?  I don't know the answer but I do know that I embraced those tasks, realizing they needed to be done, so there wasn't any reason to feel overwhelmed.  And they were accomplished and checked off the list before I knew it. 

This weekend, we enjoyed the company of the neighbors.  We sat.  We ate.  We talked.  We laughed.  We watched the boys.  We made a fire.  Nothing out of the ordinary.  But oh, so wonderful.  (I left out the part that the Huskies lost....that wasn't wonderful!)

This weekend, Colson was crawling and pulling himself up.  He was into everything and pulling things out of drawers, pulling toys out of containers, pulling books out of baskets, pulling pictures off of shelves, etc.  We smiled the whole time watching him even though he was making a mess.  He was having fun.  He is learning.  These are the moments we'll recall years later as we discuss Colson as an 8 month old. 

This weekend, Cannon was so content doing so many different things.  The key is that he was content.  He played quietly by himself.  He played outside with Chris.  He watched Word World.  He went to church with me.  He read books.  He drew.  He hung out at the neighbors.  He helped me cook.  He talked.  He was creative.  He used his imagination.  He is amazing!

This weekend, Chris and I worked a lot at home on our own "to do" lists, but we were home together.  When one of us needed to run somewhere, we did and took turns with the boys.  We accomplished some things together.  We accomplished some things alone.  But we were never far from each other. 

This weekend, I was reminded to embrace the everyday things. 

It is what it is. 

Things happen exactly as they are supposed to happen.  So don't fight it.  Embrace it.

Impromtu family picture....all in our Husky clothes!
The boys at Greg and Brenda's house watching the Huskies loose.  :(
Colson loves to turn the handle bars.
It won't be long and he'll be on the move!


Enjoying every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment