Jun 14, 2012

The Final Day of First Grade

Today was the last day of school for the the kids!  The last day is always a whirlwind and always exciting, even for me.  Yearbook signing.  Last day pictures.  Cleaning of room.  Stuffing backpacks full.  Giving and receiving gifts.  Celebrating.

This year we celebrated by dancing on the tables (of course to the song, Celebration) which has been a tradition in my classroom since I began teaching.  We also celebrated when I gave out 'birthday kisses' to everyone.  (When it is a student's birthday, I ask them if they want a hug, a kiss or both.  If they say kiss, then I make a big deal about putting on four different shades of lipstick and giving them a smooch on the cheek.)  Today, we celebrated a student's birthday and then I just continued to pass out 'goodbye' kisses.  Only a few decided to pass on the kiss.



I received many wonderful, thoughtful gifts from students.  I just had to share one of the coolest gifts I got this year:  A flat of yummy strawberries from Spooner Farms.  Yummy!



Today was also the last day that I will be teaching first grade....at least for awhile.

After we had our annual "send off" with the kids, I packed up after 13 years in Room 102 and moved it all down to Room 402.  4th Grade, here I come!  Thank goodness for my friend Mishele Barnett, a former student, and Tony Stilnovich for helping me cart load after load after load down the hallway.

It's sad to think that I won't be in "my" room anymore.  I'm sad to not be teaming with Holly and Judy next year.  It's sad to think I won't be welcoming in small 6 year olds next September.

But I'm also excited.  I'm excited to be teaming with Brinn and Tara.  I'm excited to learn about 4th grade and broaden my horizons.  I'm excited to clean out 13 years of "stuff" and start fresh.


I have a lot of work ahead of me!

One day at a time.

Enjoying every moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment